Tuesday 10 April 2012

Coconut and Cherry Slices



My Aunt has a whole repertoire of recipes for bars and slices and these have been a favourite of mine since I was little. I loved how the chocolate layer at the bottom went slightly granular after being cooked in the oven. Even people who say they don't like coconut eat these and they're great for the gluten-free brigade as well. They are known as 'picnic slices' in my family and are indeed well-suited to outdoor eating although they are also perfect with a cup of tea or coffee to combat mid-afternoon slump. For some inexplicable reason, nobody made these for years and when I decided I wanted to resurrect them, I couldn't even find the recipe. Happily however, my mum came across it when she was sorting out her cookbook cupboard last year and they have since made a successful comeback, appearing at most family gatherings throughout the year.

RECIPE

200g milk chocolate
75g soft butter
150g caster sugar
150g desiccated coconut
75g sultanas
75g glace cherries, chopped
1 egg

A baking tin, 17 x 26cm approx, greased and lined with greaseproof paper

Preheat oven to 140°C


Melt the chocolate and spread it evenly over the bottom of the tin. Leave to cool.

When the chocolate has hardened, cream the sugar and butter together. Add the egg and mix again.

Mix in the remaining ingredients and spread evenly over the chocolate base, smoothing the top.

Bake in the oven for 40-45 mins.

Leave in tin till cold, then remove and cut into slices.


No comments:

Post a Comment